Saturday, April 10, 2010

Epilogue: Return of the FREaK

As I mentioned in my last post, hearing such disturbing news about my ex-boyfriend, helped me to eradicate him from my mind and life immediately. I was moving on.

Over the summer, I saw some speed dating event for "tall singles" online. Why the heck not, I figured. I had always been curious about speed dating, and figured if nothing else, I would most likely meet some characters who I could blog about. So, I called my friend Sue, and she agreed to go with me.

Sue and I met across the street from the downtown bar where the tall singles speed dating was to begin in approximately 5 minutes. We watched skeptically as tall, yet overweight, balding (if not already completely bald) men entered the bar for the event. Well, we already paid, so what the heck. We crossed the street, and went into the bar.

It was pretty much exactly what I expected. For those of you who have never been to a speed dating event (and I don't recommend you start now), there were about 10 men, and 10 women, and we were assigned seats throughout the bar, and told that the men would rotate to us and we would sit and talk for three minutes. Yessss, at least I wouldn't have to walk around in these heels.

The first few guys I met were nice, but let's just say, were not my type. I was on my second glass of wine, and trying my hardest to continue smiling. My head was down, because we had to mark down our "rating" of each guy after we met him. I saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye, as the next guy sat down. I looked up, my smile permanantly plastered across my face. I could not believe whText Coloro sat across from me.

It was FREaK.

Strangely, the first thing that ran through my head was, he's not even tall! He is like, 5' 10" at best, and the event is only for men over 6 feet!

Uh, hi J, he mumbled, clearly as uncomfortable as I was.

I stared at him in silence, perma-smile and all, frozen and unable to speak. So, he took that as a cue to continue.

I, uh, I know the girl who runs these things, so I, uh, thought I'd check one out. How ya been? Can I get you a drink?

I replied in one word: NO, and ran the fuck outta there.

The girl in charge, FREaK's friend, ran after me. After all, if there were 10 guys and only 9 girls, the whole speed dating thing wouldn't go as planned.

Sweetie, is he your ex or something? Don't run out! Then HE wins! You don't want him to win, do you? she coaxed.

I just laughed, texted Sue that I'd meet her after the event, and walked down the block.

Thankfully, that was the last time I saw him.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this story. At least they gave you your speed dating fee back!

    ReplyDelete